Friday, January 11, 2008

The Golden Compass and Religion

I went to see the film the Golden Compass last week. I have got read all three books in the series with waning interest. What began turning me off in the 2nd and 3rd books was his obvious and negative position of religion. The books - instead of making me oppugn faith and its function in society - I became repelled by his obvious disfavor of all things holy.

Now I acquire the ailments about faith - force in the name of God, a manner to command the masses...Heard it all before, even spilling from my ain lips at times. I too had a Mother who identified herself as a recovering Catholic and pretty much my full childhood was shrouded in negative positions of any Christian church and of course, God. However, Iodine was still curious...I have got always thought it a spot naïve to criticise something not fully examined. So as an grownup I joined a respective different Book surveys to detect the truth for myself.

Surprise of all surprises, I discovered a life book that spoke to my life right now. Interestingly, the first Book survey I did was with a fundamentalistic Christian (I am most definitely not) because I wanted to dispute myself.

We read the Gospels of Saint Matthew and one twenty-four hours we were reading Jesus Of Nazareth words about his message. He discussed how work force would utilize his message and turn it to there ain meaning, however love was truly the center. Amusingly, as we discussed this passage, we began to disagree. My friend really believed if you don't follow the Bible (really a fundamentalistic interpretation) then to Hell you go...What did you not read the loving words of Jesus Of Nazareth - ALL are welcome???? She really could not see an all-inclusive loving Supreme Being and certainly no other readings of Supreme Being through other spiritual books were acceptable.

Personally, I don't experience any faith have a lock on God. Supreme Being is for all of us no substance how you happen him/her whether through meditation, nature, different religions, books, whatever. My mental image of Supreme Being is clearly displayed in the narrative of the Lavish Son.

The father, i.e. God, runs weaponry outstretched for his contrary child. The boy only necessitates to turn to his father, who have been looking down the route hoping to see his kid return. The father observes the tax return and even castigates his other boy for being resentful of the celebration. I so understood that other brother's choler and then I realized the truth. No substance what you have got got done, Supreme Being is there, pouring out his love and calling you home.

I don't have to be perfect to be in human relationship with God. I can stumble, I can fail. It doesn't matter, Supreme Being still waits and longs for me - each of us no substance what. That is power, that is love.

So as I read each book in Prince Philip Pullman's series, I became more than repelled. It maliciousness and distain for faith became more than clear with each page; wicked angels, the Magisterium (in the Catholic Church, an existent board of power,) the issue of souls, etc. Honestly, it thwacks of an immature and fixated negative position of religion. I really inquire if he have done any existent ambitious scholarship on spiritualty and religion. Iodine acquire the feeling that Mr. Pullman Car have no regard for spiritualty and actually have a "less-than" view of those who do.

In fact when I finished the last book all I could believe was, "Wow, this is sad. How blue to be so cut off from the magic of life. How can make you happen peace? So lonely." I can honestly state I have got got no desire to read anything by him again, because I just have no involvement in witnessing stuff that pedal points hate, separation from Supreme Being and force towards children guised as a children's book. Yuck. This looks to at least be something that could reserved for grownup books.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home